I've had a chance to play with this some more. I did not mentioned in my original post that in addition to the problems of HQ reporting me as off-line when I really was online, my scout has been come extremely unstable when using my IR transmitter code. That's why I was trying to detect online/off-line using HQ to see if it was a total lockup of the Scout or if I had just dropped Wi-Fi.
Anyway I'm going to start a separate thread because I've discovered that part of my problem is a conflict between my IRLib and the Pinocchio firmware. We will get back to the problem with HQ after I've solved the IR problem.